1. Please read each step of these instructions carefully. Download a printer friendly version here.
2. Gather the required tools and supplies. Visit our supply shop to get everything you need.
3. Do not use dead, yellow or brown leaves. The ideal time to sample is right after the first true (serrated) leaves emerge, usually around 7-10 days post-germination. Please DO NOT use the true leaves, use cotyledons (round leaves) to get the best sample.
4. Ensure plants are properly watered 24-48 hours before collecting samples.
5. Label all plants and DNA collection kit envelopes before starting to ensure your samples are correctly tracked back to the right plant.
Identify and cut a cotyledon from your plant. Place the cotyledon between the plastic cover and filter paper.
Close the plastic cover and place on a solid surface.
Use a coin or blunt object to crush your sample through the plastic film. Continue until the leaf soaks fluid completely through both sides of the filter paper, leaving a dark green spot the size of your fingernail.
Remove leaf remnants leaving behind only what was absorbed by the paper.
Place sample inside the envelope then clean your tools, including the object used to crush your sample
Please do not seal the envelopes. Simply close the flap and use rubber bands to group batches of envelopes when you're done.
WANT ACCESS TO SPECIAL CONTENT?
Sign-up for announcements and discounts., like free shipping.